QuickBooks is no doubt one of the most used accounting software. It can be used to perform different operations like banking, accounting, payroll management, inventory management, and even more. Still, you can face issues while using the application and it is completely common. In this technical blog, we have discussed one such error called QuickBooks won’t open. This error occurs when you try to open the company file on the system and you will not be able to perform any operation until you fix it. To know details about the QuickBooks won’t open company file issue, keep reading the article till the end.
Causes of QuickBooks Won’t Open Error
Below mentioned are all the reasons because of which you can face the error.
- One of the common reasons is that the hard disk on your drive is corrupted or damaged.
- The name of your company file is longer than required or has any special characters.
- Also, you can face the issue if you have not updated the operating system.
- Other than this, incomplete or incorrect installation of the QuickBooks application can also lead to the occurrence of the error.
- Lastly, the error can occur because of the damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Won’t Open Issue
In this section, we have mentioned some symptoms that you can look for to identify the QuickBooks won’t open issue.
- The very common symptom is that the QuickBooks will freeze more frequently and will not be able to open the company file.
- Also, you may notice that Windows has started running slow.
- Your system has started hanging while opening any application or working on it.
- The system may start to respond to the inputs slowly.
- Lastly, the QuickBooks application will not open on the system.
Preliminary Steps to Follow before troubleshooting
Before you proceed with troubleshooting the “my QuickBooks won’t open” error, here are some of the steps that you need to follow to fix the error.
- First, you need to make sure that you have updated the QuickBooks application and also, you are using a compatible version of the application.
- Next, you will have to turn off the hosting on all the workstations.
- Now, you will have to suppress the installation of QuickBooks.
- Other than this, you need to change the name of the ND and TLG files on the system.
- In the end, you need to repair the installation.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Won’t Open Issue
Hopefully, now you know enough about the issue, so, we can proceed to resolve it. Here we have provided you with some methods that you can use to fix the “my QuickBooks won’t open” issue. Follow all the steps associated with each method in the same way as mentioned.
Solution 1: Open the Company File from Another Location
One of the common reasons for facing the QuickBooks won’t open company file issue is that the location of the file is damaged. So, you can choose to move the file to another location and then open it. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, press the Windows key and E key together to open the windows explorer on the system.
- After this, you will have to look for the file having a qbw extension. In case you have stored the file on the network, you will have to check your network drive.
- When you have found the file, you will have to right-click on it and then click on the Copy option.
- Next, you will have to go to the C drive on the system and then create a folder. You need to name the folder QBTEST.
- Now, you will have to open the folder and then paste the file that you have copied.
- After this, you will have to press and hold the CTRL key on the keyboard while opening the QuickBooks application.
- Once done, you will have to open the QuickBooks application and also, choose to open or restore a file.
- Redirect the tool to the new folder and then open the file that you have copied.
Solution 2: Employ QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
QuickBooks install diagnostic tool will help you to install the QuickBooks application easily and delete all the damaged installation QuickBooks files. You can use it with the help of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you will have to start the QuickBooks Tool Hub on the system.
- Now, in the window, you will have to click on the installation issues option.
- When done, from the options, you will have to click on the option for QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to start it.
- Wait for the tool to start. It may take some time to start the tool.
- Next, you will have to wait for this process to complete and on completion, start the system again.
- When done, you will have to run QuickBooks and try to open the required company file.
Solution 3: Performing a Clean Install of QuickBooks
Now, the next method that we recommend you to follow is to perform a clean install of QuickBooks. For this, you will have to uninstall the QuickBooks application and then reinstall it on the system. Also, you can use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to carry out the process easily. it will help you to fix the QuickBooks won’t open company file issue easily.
Solution 4: Employ Quick Fix My Program
The next tool that you can use to fix the QuickBooks won’t open error is to use the Quick fix my program feature with the help of the Quickbooks Tool Hub. Below we have mentioned all the steps that you need to follow.
- To begin with, you will have to close the QuickBooks application if opened on the system.
- After this, you will have to visit the official QuickBooks website and then download the tool hub. Save the file on the system where you can access it easily.
- Now, you will have to open the file that you have downloaded and then follow all the instructions appearing on the screen to install the QuickBooks tool hub on the system.
- Next, start the tool hub application by clicking on the icon of the tool.
- In the window, you will have to go to the program problems option.
- Now, you will have to click on the option to quick-fix my program.
- Wait for it to scan and fix the issue.
- In the end, open QuickBooks again on the system and also, open the required company file.
Solution 5: Suppress the QuickBooks Installation
The next solution on this list is to suppress the QuickBooks installation. It simply means to open the QuickBooks application without opening the company file on the system. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you need to look for the QuickBooks icon and then right-click on it.
- After this, you will have to press the CTRL key on the keyboard and then open the application. Keep holding the CTRL key until you see the no company open window on the screen.
- When done, you need to open the application on the system.
Solution 6: Start the System Again
You may be able to fix different issues after restarting your device and why won’t QuickBooks open issue is one of them. For this, simply go to the start option and then click on the power option. Now, choose the option to start the device again. After restarting the device, you will have to open the QuickBooks application again and also, open the file. See if you ate still facing the error.
Solution 7: Make a New Windows User
In case there is an issue with granting permissions to the current user, you can try to make a new user. Grant all the required permissions to the user and then try to open the company file.
- To start with, you will have to open the control panel on the system.
- After this, in the control panel, you will have to choose the user account option. Under this, you will have to click on the option to manage the user.
- Now, you will have to choose the add option.
- When done, you will have to type the name of the admin and also, type the domain. After this, click on the OK option.
- Next, select the administrator option. Now, click on the finish option and then a new prompt will open on the screen. You need to press the Ok button and then you can try opening the file after logging in to the system with new credentials.
Solution 8: Change the Name of QBWUSER.INI File
Now, there may be some issues with the .ini file that can lead to the QuickBooks won’t open issue. So, we suggest you rename the file and create a new one. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, find the folder in which you have stored the file. When found, you need to open the folder.
- Now, you will have to look for the QBWUSER.INI file and then choose the option to rename the file.
- In the name of the file, you will have to type OLD at the end and then do the same for the ECML file.
- When done, save the changes made and then check if you still face the error.
Solution 9: Terminate the QBW32.exe Process
The last method on this list is to terminate the QBW32.exe process. Below we have mentioned all the steps that you need to follow.
- First, you will have to right-click on the Windows taskbar and then look for the QBW32.exe file. Choose the option to terminate it.
- After this, you will have to go to the process option and then choose the image option.
- You will then have to look for the exe file and then select it.
- In the end, choose the option to end the process.
Using the methods that we have mentioned above in this article will help you to fix the QuickBooks won’t open issue easily. Also, we have tried to provide you with all the information regarding the issue. In case you still face the QuickBooks won’t open company file issue, you must consult customer support. Hopefully, this article will help you to get rid of the issue.