Apple Pay, a transformative payment system, was launched in 2014 and quickly embraced by a staggering 85% of US retailers. Yet, surprisingly, Walmart — the nation’s most frequented store — is conspicuously absent from this list. One might wonder, “Does Walmart take Apple Pay?” Let’s dive deep into this curious decision.
Does Walmart Take Apple Pay?
Wondering, “does Walmart take Apple Pay?” Walmart does not accept Apple Pay in its U.S. stores. Walmart is one of the few major retailers that have chosen not to support Apple Pay, preferring instead to promote its payment solution called Walmart Pay.
Walmart Pay vs. Apple Pay
Walmart Pay is a part of the Walmart app and is designed for use at Walmart checkout counters. Here’s how it differs from Apple Pay:
- Integration: While Apple Pay is designed to be used across multiple retail locations and apps, Walmart Pay is specific to Walmart stores.
- QR Code vs. NFC: Apple Pay uses Near-Field Communication (NFC) technology, allowing users to tap their devices on a payment terminal. Walmart Pay, on the other hand, uses QR code technology. Users must scan a QR code at the register to complete their transaction.
- Payment Methods: Both platforms allow users to link credit and debit cards. However, with Walmart Pay, users can also integrate their Walmart gift cards. Moreover, if you want to learn how to verify Cash App card for Apple Pay, do check out our guide.
Why Doesn’t Walmart Accept Apple Pay?
There are several speculated reasons:
- Control Over Data: By using Walmart Pay, Walmart can maintain more control over customer shopping data, helping to shape marketing strategies.
- Transaction Fees: Apple charges banks a small fee for every Apple Pay transaction. By directing users to Walmart Pay, Walmart can avoid these costs.
- Promotion of Walmart Ecosystem: Walmart Pay encourages users to download and use the Walmart app, potentially leading to more in-app purchases and brand loyalty.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Does Walmart currently accept Apple Pay in its U.S. stores?
Walmart does not accept Apple Pay in its U.S. stores. Instead, they promote their proprietary payment solution, Walmart Pay. However, McDonald’s accepts Apple Pay.
Q2. What is the primary difference between Apple Pay and Walmart Pay?
The main difference is in their technology and usability. Apple Pay uses Near-Field Communication (NFC) for transactions and is accepted at multiple retail locations. In contrast, Walmart Pay uses QR code technology and is specifically designed for use at Walmart checkout counters.
Q3. Why does Walmart prefer to use Walmart Pay over Apple Pay?
There are several speculated reasons, including maintaining control over customer shopping data, avoiding transaction fees associated with Apple Pay, and promoting the Walmart ecosystem by encouraging customers to use the Walmart app.
Q4. If I can’t use Apple Pay at Walmart, are there other contactless payment options available?
Yes, Walmart offers Walmart Pay, which is a contactless payment option. By downloading the Walmart app and setting up Walmart Pay, customers can experience a seamless checkout using QR code technology.
If you’re heading to Walmart and wondering, does Walmart take Apple Pay, the current answer is no. However, this doesn’t mean you’re without contactless payment options. Simply download the Walmart app and set up Walmart Pay for a seamless checkout experience.
For those loyal to Apple Pay, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye on updates from both Walmart and Apple. Payment landscapes are ever-evolving, and the status quo can change. For the most current information, consider checking Walmart’s official payment policies or visiting your local store.