If you’re like most consumers, the credit report is a vitally important document. After all, your credit score can determine everything from the interest rate you pay on a mortgage to the amount you pay for car insurance. So when you see something unfamiliar on the credit report, it’s only natural to want to know what’s going on. And if that unfamiliar item is a CBNA Credit Card account, you may be wondering why it’s there in the first place. In this post, we’ll answer all of your questions about the CBNA Credit Card and also explain why it may show up on your credit report. We’ll also tell you what you can do if you’d like to remove the CBNA Credit Card account from your credit history. Read on for answers!
What is CBNA Credit Card?
CBNA credit card is the credit card issued by Citibank North America. It is also the biggest Credit Card issuing company in America these days. If CBNA appears on your credit history then you might own a credit card issued by CBNA or any credit cards issued by any of the CBNA affiliates. Because CBNA also provides privately labeled credit cards to some of the biggest international brands and organizations.
You may also want to read- What is JPMCB card?
There is a long CBNA credit card list. If you own any of the following cards, then you might see CBNA on your credit report:
- Shell Fuel Rewards Card
- Home Depot Customer Credit Card
- Citi Secured MasterCard
- Citi Double Cash
- Citi Diamond Preferred Card
- Citi Simplicity Card
- Citi Rewards+ Card
- Citi Customer Cash Card
- Best Buy Visa
- Best Buy Credit Card
All these cards are issued by Citibank North America so if you make any transactions with these cards then they might appear under the name of CBNA.
CBNA issues credit cards to some of the famous international and national companies, if you own their credit card then it might also appear as a CBNA. They have the following affiliates.
- L.L. Bean
- American Airlines
Is CBNA Genuine?
Yes, CBNA or Citibank North America is a real and genuine organization. It operates all over America. If you see their name on your credit report then you might own their credit card directly or indirectly through any of their affiliates.
Though you can get confused with the organizations with similar abbreviations, for example:
- Credit Bureau of North America
- Comenity Bank, North America
- Community Bank, North America
To confirm if the CBNA on your credit report is Citibank North America only, you can talk to your credit card company through the customer care number or mail.
How Can CBNA Appear on My Credit Report?
CBNA can show any of the following names in your credit report.
- Citicards Citibank North America (Citicards CBNA)
- CitiBank North America/Sioux Falls (CBNA/Sioux Falls)
- AT&T Universal Card/Citibank North America (Universal CD CBNA)
- The Home Depot/Citibank North America (THD/CBNA Credit Card)
- Shop Your Way Credit Card/Citibank North America (SYWMC/CBNA Credit Card)
- Staples/Citibank North America (STPC/CBNA)
- Sears/Citibank North America (SEARS/CBNA)
- National Tire & Battery/Citibank North America (NTB/CBNA)
- Monro Auto Service & Tire Centers Drive Card/Citibank North America (MONRO-DC/CBNA)
- Brooks Brothers/Citibank North America (BRKSB/CBNA)
- Best Buy/Citibank North America (BBY/CBNA)
Why the CBNA Credit Card is on My Credit Report?
You can see the CBNA credit card on your credit report for any of the following reasons:
1. Maybe CBNA is Checking your Credit
You can find CBNA on your credit report when they are planning to offer you their credit card service. For this reason, they might be performing a soft inquiry or a hard inquiry of your account to check your credit score and creditworthiness.
2. You have an Indirect Account with CBNA
When you see a CBNA credit card on your credit report then you might be having an indirect account with this bank. This can happen if your credit card company is affiliated with CBNA.
3. Someone has Stolen Your Identity
When someone tries to steal your identity and use your card on your behalf and use it for some transaction to or through CBNA.
4. You are an Authorized User on Anyone Else’s CBNA Credit Card
If someone registers you as an authorized credit user on their CBNA card then also it can appear on your credit report.
Note- If you think that CBNA card is mistakenly showing on your credit report then you can dispute your credit report. Know how to dispute credit report now.
Does CBNA Affect Your Credit Score?
When you see CBNA on your credit report because of some soft or hard inquiry then it will not affect your credit score, but when any transaction is done, then it will affect your credit score.
Can I Remove CBNA from My Credit Report?
If you want then it can be done. The card can be removed from your report. If you believe it was added to your credit report by mistake, you can clear it with your credit card company. In case of dissatisfaction, you send a dispute letter to your credit card company.
For this, you can also use a credit repair company, which will act as a mediator between you and the credit company. They will do all the conversation and formalities on your behalf and will also help you improve your credit by getting this card removed from your credit report.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What does CBNA mean on my credit report?
There can be several reasons why CBNA is on your credit report. These reasons include:
- Your card company is affiliated with CBNA.
- CBNA did your account inquiry.
- You are an authorized user of any of these cards.
- Someone is trying to steal your identity.
Though whatever the reason is, you can consult with your credit card company for more details on this.
Q2. Is CBNA the same as Best Buy?
No, they are not the same. They are different credit card companies. But Best Buy is affiliated with CBNA so CNBA makes credit cards for Best Buy.
Q3. Do I need to worry if I see CBNA on my credit report?
No. You do not need to panic. You can ask your credit card company about this and they will give you complete detail on why it is on your credit report. In case you are a victim of identity theft or any fraudulent activity, report it to your credit card company and the police.
When you see a CBNA credit card on your credit report, do not panic. You can talk to your credit card company and ask them about it. In case of identity theft, you can inform your credit card company and the police. Most credit card companies provide a no-liability policy for victims in case of any fraudulent activity.
- Elizabeth Jones is one of our editorial team’s leading authors on credit card offers, services & more. With over two decades of experience in the consumer credit industry and as a nationally recognized credit expert, Elizabeth provides in-depth analysis of both traditional & alternative forms of credit. Elizabeth regularly appears on many major media outlets including NBC Nightly News, Fox Business Network, CNBC & Yahoo! Finance. She is also a frequent contributor to Forbes Magazine. As a highly appreciated author for our exclusive Editorial Team, Elizabeth strives to provide readers with a trustworthy advice on how to manage their credit accounts while staying informed on the latest offers in the marketplace.
- Blog2023.04.25Microinsurance: Can the Cinderella of Financial Inclusion Join the Global Ball?
- Blog2023.04.20Top Five Resources of 2013 on Financial Inclusion of Women
- Blog2023.04.20Growing Concerns about Overindebtedness in Mexico’s Microfinance Sector
- Blog2023.03.29Microfinance as a Mobile Game for Teens